- 2 quarts of water
- 1 cup of sea salt
- ½ cup raw cane sugar or organic brown sugar
- 1 stick of cinnamon or about ¼ tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tablespoon of mustard seeds
- 1-2 tablespoons of black peppercorns
- ½ tsp whole cloves (about 8-10 individual cloves)
- 1 tsp allspice berries (optional)
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp juniper berries (optional)
- ½ tsp dried ginger powder or about 1 tsp fresh minced ginger
- ½ tsp dried thyme leaf
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed or ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2-3 bay leaves, crushed
- ¼ cup beet juice or juice from homemade sauerkraut made with purple cabbage (optional)
- One 3 pound brisket
- Preparing the Corned Beef:
- 1 onion, quartered
- 3 carrots, chopped into 3 inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped into 3 inch pieces
- 6 potatoes, quartered
Put the water, salt, sugar and spices (except beet juice or sauerkraut juice) in a large pot and heat, stirring frequently, until sugar and salt dissolve. Cool liquid, using 2 cups of ice if needed, and place in fridge until very cold. It is very important that the brine is cold before it comes in contact with the meat.
For the 3-5 day brining process, you can either place the brisket in a large, 2-gallon bag and add the brine, or place the brisket in a large glass container with a lid and add the brine. Either way, you want the brisket to be completely submerged and surrounded with the brine. Add the beet juice or sauerkraut juice (if using) at this point once everything is cooled.
Place in the fridge (put inside another dish if you just use the plastic bag in case it leaks) and leave it there for at least 3 days and 5 if possible. Each day, flip it over and move the brine around. After 3-5 days, remove from the brine, and rinse with cool water.
Place the onion, carrots, garlic cloves, celery, and potatoes in the slow cooker. Set the corned beef on top of the vegetables, and add enough water to just top the beef. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
To serve, cut corned beef against the grain into thin slices and accompany with the cooked vegetables.
First USDA Approved Grass Fed Program
We are proud to announce that we are the first grass fed program to be approved under the new USDA Grass Fed Standard! Source verified, age verified, Non HormoneTreated Cattle (NHTC), Never Ever 3 (NE3) no antibiotics, no animal by-products or growth promotants. And of course, always grass fed.
About La Cense Beef
With strong commitments to sustainable ranching and humane animal treatment, La Cense Beef is the premier direct-to-consumer grass fed beef operation. La Cense provides 100% grass fed beef delivered right to your door that has never been "finished" with the introduction of grains into the cattle's diet. La Cense Beef is dedicated to the principles of sustainable ranching, including free roaming and rotational grazing across the ranch. The cattle enjoy the most natural, unadulterated life possible.
La Cense Beef Email Sign Up
Sign up here for exclusive e-offers!